Federal law requires that students’ requests for academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and other accommodations be determined on a case-by-case basis. The guideline below was created to facilitate the individualized review of each student’s request and to assist Student Disability Services (SDS) in developing an appropriate accommodation plan together with the student.
The following information is generally needed in order to determine the most appropriate accommodations:
- That the student has an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity
- How that disability impacts the student in the university setting
- What accommodations are necessary to mitigate that impact by providing equitable access
In advance of, or during, the first meeting with SDS, students are encouraged to provide any documentation that they would like considered in the development of their accommodation plan. Documentation may include psychoeducational evaluations, IEPs, 504 plans, or letters from physicians and counselors.
Suggested Documentation Elements:
- Typed on letterhead, dated, and signed by a qualified professional
- Diagnostic Statement with any related diagnostic methodology
- Functional impact or symptoms
- Severity and/or expected progression
- Current medication(s) and any related side effects
- Current and/or past accommodations
- Any recommended accommodations
Our priority is on meeting with students and beginning the accommodations process for them as soon as possible. Please do not delay meeting with SDS out of concern for not having the correct (or any) documentation. If applicable, the Coordinator will discuss with the student any specific documentation that is still needed during the Welcome Meeting. Provisional accommodations may be provided to allow students time to procure any needed documentation. All documentation is confidential.
Additional Documentation Forms
Students may provide SDS with existing documentation related to their disability or ask their service provider to complete the appropriate SDS form below.