Student Disability Services (SDS) strives to consistently evaluate our services as the number of students and accommodation requests continue to grow each semester. As a result, and with best practices and service to students in mind, SDS periodically changes processes, policies, and services. The SDS Student Advisory Board is established as a critical partner in reviewing these proposed modifications, to help ensure SDS is doing what is in the best interest of the students we serve while following university policy and legal requirements.
What are we looking for?
SDS is seeking 10-12 students who have a desire to be involved and want to participate in helping SDS improve services. Leaders who wish to spread the volunteer spirit by advocating for students with disabilities are encouraged to apply! We hope that students will promote social justice and help lessen the perceived stigma around disability services that prevents individuals from registering with SDS to seek accommodations.
- Student must be registered with SDS
- Student must have earned a minimum of 6 credit hours at UTK
- Student must be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale)
- Serve on the student advisory board for at least one academic year (Fall, Spring & Summer), including one meeting during the summer that may be attended remotely.
- Attend meetings as follows (in-person and remote options will be available):
- Two meetings during fall semester
- Two meetings during spring semester
- One meeting during summer
- Review and provide feedback on SDS procedures, policies, and materials
- Provide suggestions related to the accessibility of all aspects of the university experience
- Opportunity to present or speak to faculty, staff, and other students, if interested
- Be agents of change
- Enhance your resume by adding leadership and advocacy experience
- Network with your peers as well as higher education professionals