2021-2022 Application period: October 5, 2020 – February 5, 2021
Through generous contributions made by local service membership organizations dedicated to improving communities and encouraging leadership, a scholarship program was established for students with visual disabilities. Although the scholarship gives preference to students with visual disabilities, students with other documented disabilities are encouraged to apply and will be considered for awards. The Student Disability Services (SDS) Scholarships Committee is comprised of staff from various Student Life offices and campus partners. Through a competitive process, the SDS Scholarships Committee will select recipients based on the specific criteria indicated below.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UTK at the time of application and award.
- Must have a documented disability.
- Must have completed 12 hours of undergraduate coursework by January 1, 2021.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA at the time of application and award.
- Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA from their previous institution(s).
- Complete and submit the Online Application Form between October 5, 2020 – February 5, 2021.
- If you are not currently registered with SDS, email a copy of your disability documentation to email@example.com. Please review the documentation guidelines for more information.
- Attach a resume to your online application.
- Attach a letter of recommendation to your online application.
- Attach a 500-word original typed-essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you as a student. Please include your goals, accomplishments, and any activities that you are currently involved in, both on and off-campus.
- SDS will obtain a copy of your academic records.
To ensure your application is complete, please utilize the Visual Disability Scholarship Checklist. Late or incomplete applications and applications without documentation of a disability, resume, and a letter of recommendation will not be considered.
Three (3) scholarships of $1,500 will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year. The funds will be dispersed in increments of $750, to be awarded at the beginning of the following fall 2021 and spring 2022 terms.
The selection of the recipients of the Scholarship for Students with Visual Disability will be made by an SDS Scholarships Committee, with representation from various Student Life offices.
If the award is accepted, the recipient agrees to:
1) Write two thank you letters, one addressed to the SDS Scholarships Selection Committee and the second addressed to the Bearden Lion’s Club Endowment;
2) Attend an awards banquet during the month of March 2021
Note: Preference is given to students who have not previously been awarded this scholarship.
Student Disability Services will announce the scholarship selection results by Monday, February 22, 2021. Distribution of funds will occur at the beginning of fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters during Financial Aid disbursement.
Cancellation of Scholarship
Recipients will forfeit their scholarship if they do not remain eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. Suspension, academic probation, dismissal, or failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA during the award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked. The SDS Scholarship Committee may re-award the remaining funds or return them to the scholarship fund for the following academic year.