2020 Application period: October 1, 2019 – January 31, 2020
Through generous contributions made by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the Robert L. & Helen Johnson was established to assist students with disabilities further their education. The SDS Scholarships Committee is comprised of various Student Life offices and may include staff and students, as well as faculty members. The SDS Scholarships Committee will select recipients based on the specific criteria indicated below through a competitive selection process. Funds are distributed to recipients at the beginning of the next fall and spring semesters during Financial Aid disbursement.
Academic Scholarship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UTK at the time of application and award.
- Must have a documented disability.
- Must have completed 60 hours of undergraduate coursework by January 1, 2020.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA at the time of application and award.
- Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA from their previous institution(s).
- Complete and submit the Online Application Form between October 1, 2019, and January 31, 2020.
- If you are not currently registered with SDS, email a copy of your documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the documentation guidelines for more information.
- Attach a resume to your online application.
- Attach a letter of recommendation to your online application.
- Attach a 1000-word original typed essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you as a student. Please include your goals, accomplishments and any activities you are currently involved in both on and off-campus.
- SDS will obtain a copy of your academic records.
Late or incomplete applications and applications without documentation of a disability, resume, or a letter of recommendation will not be considered. To ensure your application is complete, please utilize the Submission Checklist for RHJ Scholarship.
Two scholarships of $1000 will be awarded for the 2020-2021 academic year. The funds will be dispersed at the beginning of the 2020 fall and 2021 spring semesters.
The selection of the recipient of the Robert L. & Helen will be made by a committee, with representation from various Student Life Offices. The scholarship recipient agrees to:
1) Write a thank you letter addressed to the SDS Selection Committee.
2) Attend an awards banquet – March 5, 2020.
Note:Preference is given to students who have not previously been awarded this scholarship.
Student Disability Services will announce the scholarship selection results by Wednesday, February 5, 2020. Distribution of funds will occur at the beginning of fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters during Financial Aid disbursement.
Cancellation of Scholarship
The recipient will forfeit the scholarship if they do not remain eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA during the award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked. The SDS Scholarships Committee may re-award the remaining funds or return them to the scholarship fund for the following academic year.