2021-2022 Application period: October 5, 2020 – February 5, 2021
Through generous contributions made by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the Robert L. & Helen Johnson was established to assist students with disabilities further their education. The SDS Scholarships Committee is comprised of various Student Life offices and may include staff and students, as well as faculty members. The SDS Scholarships Committee will select recipients based on the specific criteria indicated below through a competitive selection process. Funds are distributed to recipients at the beginning of the next fall and spring semesters during Financial Aid disbursement.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UTK at the time of application and award.
- Must have a documented disability.
- Must have completed 60 hours of undergraduate coursework by January 1, 2021.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA at the time of application and award.
- Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA from their previous institution(s).
- Complete and submit the Online Application Form between October 5, 2020, and February 5, 2021.
- If you are not currently registered with SDS, email a copy of your documentation to email@example.com. Please review the documentation guidelines for more information.
- Attach a resume to your online application.
- Attach a letter of recommendation to your online application.
- Attach a 500-word original typed essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you as a student. Please include your goals, accomplishments, and any activities you are currently involved in both on and off-campus.
- SDS will obtain a copy of your academic records.
To ensure your application is complete, please utilize the RHJ Scholarship Checklist. Late or incomplete applications and applications without documentation of a disability, resume, or a letter of recommendation will not be considered.
One (1) scholarship of $1000 will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year. The funds will be dispersed at the beginning of the 2021 fall and 2022 spring semesters.
The selection of the recipient of the Robert L. & Helen Johnson Scholarship will be made by a committee, with representation from various Student Life Offices.
The scholarship recipient agrees to:
1) Write a thank you letter addressed to the SDS Selection Committee.
2) Attend an awards banquet during the month of March 2021.
Note: Preference is given to students who have not previously been awarded this scholarship.
Student Disability Services will announce the scholarship selection results by Monday, February 22, 2021. Distribution of funds will occur at the beginning of fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters during Financial Aid disbursement.
Cancellation of Scholarship
The recipient will forfeit the scholarship if they do not remain eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. Suspension, academic probation, dismissal, or failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA during the award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked. The SDS Scholarships Committee may re-award the remaining funds or return them to the scholarship fund for the following academic year.