Transcribing services capture spoken content in real time and generate a live, meaning-for-meaning transcript.
Using advanced abbreviation software, a trained TypeWell transcriber synthesizes the essence of the discussion in clear English text. Transcribing can be onsite or remote. When onsite, SDS transcribers equipped with a laptop sit in the classroom and process what is being said for the student to read on a device. When remote, the student brings equipment to the classroom and reads the text generated by a provider who is off site.
SDS provides and schedules transcribers for
- Classroom instruction
- Meetings with instructors about coursework
For non-academic events sponsored by the university, please contact the hosting department, office, or group to request transcribing services. The event host can contact The Office of Equity and Diversity (OED) for assistance in scheduling a transcriber for the event.
- Allow the Transcriber to sit in an area where they may position their transcription equipment and work comfortably.
- Speak clearly and repeat student questions or comments that may otherwise be difficult for the Transcriber to hear.
- When addressing a student who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing, make eye contact with the student and speak directly to him/her as you would any other student.
- Provide the Transcribers with access to the Learning Management System (Canvas).
- Provide all needed course information and materials in advance.
- Request Faculty Accommodation Letters at least a month prior to the start of the upcoming semester.
- Identify yourself to the Transcriber on the first day of class or in any new situation.
- Direct all questions relating to the class materials to the professor and not the Transcriber.
- Conduct personal conversations with the Transcriber either before or after class.
- Inform the Transcriber of planned absences, class cancellations, if a video is scheduled to be shown in class, or if you will be making a presentation.
- Complete Student Interpreter/Transcriber Request Form for any academic meetings outside of the regular classroom meetings.
- Notify Instructor of Transcriber staff in classroom.
- Provide Instructor information regarding the transcribing process.
- Provide qualified Transcribers for all class meetings.
- Provide transcripts of course meetings in a timely matter.
- Provide qualified Transcribers, when requested, for other class related events such as field trips and visits to the instructor during office hours.
- Work with Student and Instructor for optimum provision of services in the classroom.