Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Dining Accommodations

Dining accommodations icon

Students with dietary restrictions due to the impact of a disability may request accommodations or meal plan modifications as necessary.  Dining Services offers several options that can meet a vast array of needs.

Students are encouraged to discuss dietary needs with the Vol Dining staff dietitian to explore available options and strategies to dine safely on campus. Students with dietary restrictions due to the impact of a disability may contact Student Disability Services (SDS) to request adjustments or modifications if it is determined that dietary needs cannot be met. Requests for dining accommodations are reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis in collaboration with Vol Dining. Students seeking services must follow the established procedure.

Procedure for Requesting Dining Accommodation

  1. Complete the Dining Accommodation Request Form below.
  1. Submit documentation about the disability. Documentation should include:
    • Diagnosis and date of initial diagnosis
    • Functional limitations associated with the diagnoses
    • Severity of symptoms
    • Recommended accommodations

In lieu of writing a letter, the healthcare provider may also complete the Dining Accommodation Documentation Form available on the Documentation Guidelines page.

  1. A meeting with the Vol Dining dietitian to discuss dietary needs may be required. It is not necessary to wait for all documentation to be on file with SDS to schedule an appointment with the dietitian.
  1. Vol Dining will provide a written plan to SDS for accommodating the student. Vol Dining will suggest alternative accommodations, such as a meal plan reduction if the student cannot be accommodated through available options.
  1. SDS will work collaboratively with Vol Dining on the final accommodation plan once the needed medical documentation is received. SDS will notify the student and Vol Dining about the approved accommodation.
  1. If a student is not in agreement with the outcome of their request, they may follow the SDS Grievance procedure.

Complete the Dining Accommodation Request Form