Students who have this accommodation on their Faculty Accommodation Letters are eligible to receive 1.5 (50%) to 2.0 (100%) more time on exams and quizzes than what is given to the rest of the class.
- Upon request, instructors may provide additional time on exams and quizzes within the department. If unable to do so, instructors may direct students to schedule exams or quizzes with the SDS Testing Center.
- Once an exam or quiz is scheduled in the SDS Testing Center, the instructor will receive email notifications 6 and 2 days before the exam or quiz. Instructors may log into the Faculty Portal, via the SDS website, or click on the link embedded on the exam notification email to review the request.
- Items to review include:
- Date and time of exam
- Length of exam provided to class (the system will automatically calculate the extended time based on the student’s accommodation)
- Testing aids allowed (crib sheet, calculator, etc.)
- Exam delivery and return method
- Upload a copy of exam
- In some cases, students may need to take exams or quizzes at a different time than the class, because their extended time conflicts with other classes on their schedules. In this case, the student should discuss an alternative time with the instructor prior to scheduling.
- Exams and quizzes may be returned by:
- Courier – Returned to Department office only and must be signed by a staff member
- Email – May be returned at the end of the testing day
- Professor pick up – Faculty ID must be presented
- Talk to instructors at least 7 days before the first quiz or exam to inquire about where they would like exams and quizzes to be taken.
- As needed, submit a request to take an exam or quiz at the SDS Testing Center via the Student Portal at least 7 days in advance for regular exams and quizzes and two weeks before study day for finals. For exams less than 7 days away, complete a Late Exam Request Form, and be prepared to take the exam in class unless notified via email by SDS.
- Indicate during the exam request process the desire to use this accommodation.
- Notify faculty of exam accommodation request.
- Consider Late Exam Requests on a case by case basis.
- Provide accommodation as requested in student exam request process.
- Provide student with end time of exam with extended time included.