2017 Scholarship Application
Application period for the 2017 Robert L. & Helen Johnson: January 20 – February 28, 2017
Through generous contributions made by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the Robert L. & Helen Johnson was established to assist students with disabilities further their education. The SDS Scholarship Committee is comprised of various Student Life offices and may include staff and students as well as faculty members. The SDS Scholarship Committee will select recipients based on the specific criteria indicated below through a competitive selection process. Funds are distributed to recipients at the beginning of the fall 2017 semester during Financial Aid disbursement.
Academic Scholarship Eligibility:
- Student must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UTK at the time of application and award.
- Student must have a documented disability.
- Undergraduate student applicants must have completed 60 hours of course work by January 1, 2017.
- Student must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA at the time of application and award. (Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.)
- Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA from their previous institution(s). (Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.)
- Complete and submit the Online Application Form between January 20 – February 28, 2017.
- If you are not currently registered with SDS, attach a copy of your documentation regarding your disability. Please review the documentation guidelines .
- Attach a resume to your online application
- Attach a letter of recommendation to your online application
- Attach a 1000 word essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you as a student. Please include your goals, accomplishments and any activities that you are currently involved in both on and off campus. Essays should be typed and double spaced in 12 point font with one inch margins.
- Email a copy of your academic history to email@example.com. If you prefer to hand deliver it to the Student Disability Services at 100 Dunford Hall, please do so no later than 4:30 PM on Tuesday, February 28, 2017. You may obtain a copy of your academic history from the Office of the University Registrar (209 Student Services Building) or print one from http://myutk.utk.edu.
Late or incomplete applications and applications without documentation of a disability, resume, academic history and a letter of recommendation will not be considered.
One scholarship of $750 will be awarded for the 2017 – 2018 academic year. The funds will be dispersed at the beginning of the 2017 fall semester.
The selection of the recipient of the Robert L. & Helen will be made by an SDS Selection Committee, with representation from various Student Life Offices. The scholarship recipient agrees to:
1) Write a thank you letter addressed to the SDS Selection Committee
2) Attend an awards banquet – Date to be announced
3) Participate in an SDS orientation session; and
4) Serve on the SDS Student Advisory Board.
The Student Disability Services will announce the scholarship recipients by Monday, March 6, 2017, and selection results will be emailed to all applicants at that time. Distribution of funds will occur at the beginning of fall 2017 semester during Financial Aid disbursement.
Cancellation of Scholarship
The recipient will forfeit the scholarship if they do not remain eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.) The SDS Scholarship Committee may re-award the remaining funds or return them to the scholarship fund for the following academic year.